Neema Nouse is the definition of hair goals. This can be a gift and a curse. A gift, because her perfectly combed out afro is one the first things people notice about her. A curse, because surely we are all more than our hair as India Arie once sang. In any event, the Psychology Honours graduate has a lot of tips to give and we are more than willing to learn.
1. Okay, lets’ start with the basics, what does your basic skin care routine entail and what products do you use?
I use the Clinique Hydro Blur range, that’s the 2-in-1 exfoliating cleanser and the moisturizer.
I’m a bit of a purist too though so twice a week I apply an oats facial mask for 15 minutes, rinse it off and then I apply vitamin e oil.
2. What does your hair routine entail and what hair care products do you use?
My hair routine changes depending on what style I’m rocking at the time. Right now I’m wearing my hair natural but stretched out. So, I co-wash using the Tresemme Naturals Conditioner and I use the LOC system to moisturize my hair.
The LOC system as you know is the ‘Liquid Oil Cream’ treatment that allows moisture to penetrate into the hair shaft. So I spray water, then apply raw Coconut Oil and then Nilotiqa Deep Moisture Butter. I then put my hair into bantu knots to allow it to absorb the moisture over one or two days. Then finally, I afro comb it out!
3. What is your favourite hair salon to get your hair done when you feel like splurging and when you feel like saving money?
When I feel like splurging I go to Hair Network salon and when I feel like saving, which is almost all the time, I do my hair at home. My bathroom sink is the best salon in town to be honest.
4. What do you consider to be your number one beauty secret?
I put lipstick or coloured lip balm on my cheeks as blush. Lol.
It creates this soft cheek stained look that gives off a more natural appearance – which I’m all about.
My favourite to use is the Clinique Chubby Stick colour balm in Wild Strawberry.
5. What has been your most indulgent beauty buy?
The Dior One Essential Eyes Serum
6. What is your recommended place to shape your eyebrows?
I’m the wrong person to ask. I guess anywhere you can get them threaded.
7. Do you have any regrettable beauty purchases?
Other than the random purchase of an eyeliner that I later find out runs profusely, no.
8. What is the one beauty, hair or make up product you wished was available in South Africa?
I wish Carol’s Daughter hair care products were available in SA.
9. Do you have a favourite beauty/hair YouTuber?
I like ItsMyRayeRaye for beauty. For hair, there are far too many to mention. I learn a little something from everyone.
10. Do you have any favourite South African beauty products?
Unfortunately, I don’t know of any.
Words by Marilyn Suto
Images courtesy of