My mornings this past week started on a sour note, to say the least. When it was suggested to me that I should try have a shot of apple cider vinegar to increase my immune system and help with the occasional bloating, I figured why not give it a try since I am trying to make natural remedies my first point of call. After doing some research it was apparently better and safer for my overall health to dilute the ACV with either water/lemon and ginger to balance out the acidity that could undoubtedly cause major health issues down the line. So I stuck with replacing my morning cup of coffee with a warm cup of ACV mixed with hot water, honey and Cayenne Pepper( and lemon on some days). I had always heard of the miraculous benefits of the bitter concoction so despite my slight hesitation I decided, why not. Day one was a bit of a challenge stomaching something not so sweet to start my morning off but I surprisingly felt a wave of energy that I depended so heavily on with caffeine , I was already experiencing the first of many benefits which left me feeling optimistic and made the rest of the days to be more of a breeze. By day 3 I started feeling less sluggish and bloated which for me had to be one of the greatest benefits because nothing makes you feel less sexy than a water balloon type feel that you have to carry around for the rest of the day. End of Day 6 going into the last day I had grown to enjoy the taste ( oddly enough) and felt some sort of attachment to the drink mainly because of the how I feeling overall. My skin was starting to clear and have a new glow to it , the bloating had gone down significantly and I found that starting the day off with a cup of ACV influenced the types of foods I had throughout the day. I’ve started implementing the concoction into my daily life, and instead of having it everyday , I’ve narrowed it down to 3 times a week and alternating between some of my favorite herbal teas.
Benefits of ACV ‘tea’
- Balances pH levels
- Lowers cholesterol.It’s pretty magical stuff
- Cleanses your system leaving your skin glowing & clear
- Gives you more energy.
- Reduces bloating & water weight
- Suppresses appetite (because it balances your pH levels and thus your glucose & insulin levels making you fell satisfied longer).
- Can help with muscle aches and pains
- Improves digestion
- Reduces bloating
- Increases blood circulation.
- Breaks up mucus and toxins in blocked and clogged arteries, making it great for heart health
Here is some direction on how to make a cup for yourself :
- 1/4 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 wedge lemon
- Bring water to a boil.
- Combine hot water and apple cider vinegar in a small glass or mug.
- Add honey and cayenne pepper. Stir well. Top off with a squeeze of lemon.
- Take a deep breath of the mixture, and start drinking.
Images courtesy of